Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Book Editing Update: Week 1 Day 2

I skipped day one as far as the update goes, since all I did was read the How To Revise Your Novel (HTRYN) Lesson 1 and do the first set of worksheets. Now there's just something about worksheets that just makes you want to fill them out. And fill them out correctly. Just like at school. And this course is just full of worksheets. I love it.

Yesterday I printed out my manuscript. All 388 pages of it. I can hardly lift it. But that's okay, I'm going to be doing it in installments anyway. Each day I will go through about 70 pages and I should be fine. It's all about the big picture in week one, as I'll explain in the upcoming How To Revise Your Novel Week 1 post. It's also about finding out what you really want your book to be. Personally, I'm having a bit of a hard time staying focused on the big stuff and disregarding the smaller stuff, so I need to keep reminding myself that that's how it's got to be. For now.

So far I've only read the first 25 pages or so, and I must admit that the book really needs a revision or editing job. I suppose that writing a novel in 30 days does sacrifice quality for quantity. In a big way. Especially if it's a 90 000 word thing. But I'll get there. I just need to keep the forest as a whole in front of my eyes, and not the individual trees. No matter how much attention they may need. That comes later. For now, I need to look at the book as a whole.

And that's all I have to say for now. I'll keep updating this blog with my progress and hopefully help some other aspiring writers to get revising.

No comments:

Post a Comment