Thursday, December 9, 2010

Book Editing Update: Week 1 Day 3

Just a quick update. I did the 70 pages, just as I planned, but it did keep me up until almost 2 AM. On the plus side though (or like the + + + + side), this is the first time that I have done a revision of any one of my writings and lost track of time doing it. I revised for almost 5 hours straight and an hour or more would go by without me even noticing. I find that pretty amazing, since up until now I have always watched the clocked or counted the remaining pages while revising. Sometimes even while writing, but that's different.

And on the not so plus side, I am not entirely sure that I am doing these first worksheets correctly. I either find too many mistakes (i.e. I want to note every single instance of showing and telling) or I don't find any (i.e. telling myself that I will fix the instances of too fast or too slow progression of storyline or character later on in the revision). So hard to hit that middle ground. I also tend to realize that there's a problem with a character or scene only after I'm like 20 pages past the occurrence. This is why I am so bad at revision and why I absolutely need this course if I want to learn it. I lack the ability to look at my own work critically. (Some would say it extends into my personal life as well, but again, that's different). But am I going to learn how to revise if I do the course work wrong?

I'm a little worried about this last. But I'm just going to go with the flow, trust the process and hope that stuff I miss now will come up again later during the full length of this course. Which is 5 months, btw. Flowers will be blooming and the days will be longer by the time I am done with this. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment