Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Introductions

During NaNo 2009 I tried to write a fantasy novel. My first fantasy novel. And I succeded. Only that after NaNo ended, I was left with over 70 000 words of a (very) rough draft and the story nowhere near completion. From the first grem of the idea for the story I had planned to make it a series, but after reading the scattered advice for aspiring fantasy writers, especailly the part about no one wanting to publish a multi-part series from a first time writer, I began to reconsider my plan. So I ploughed on through December and wrote and wrote and ended up with over 90 000 words of a very rough draft and a clear realization that there is no way I can tell this whole story and do it justice in 120 000 or less. So what did I do?

I shelved the project for almost an entire year. Yes, insdecisevness, fear and insecurity led me to abandon my book halfway through, though I do beleive that as a story it might have potential. So now, after a year I have picked it up again and am determined to revise it. I have also decided to disregard all advice and just follow my heart on this one. I will do 2 books. I will try to sell it as 2 books. And if no one wants to buy it as 2 books, I will either combine them or self-publish.

To achieve my goal of revising the novel, I signed up for the How To Revise Your Novel by Holly Lisle. I will be following this course to revise the novel, at least for as long as I can afford it. And I will be using this blog to document my progress.

Oh and, I almost forgot, my debut novel is tentatively titled Protector.

No comments:

Post a Comment