Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Book Revision Update: Week 2 Days 1 & 2

I took a long, hard look at all of my main characters yesterday in terms of who they really are and what their true purpose is in the story, as well as whether they were living up to the role I had intended for them to play.  Some of them do, and some of them (especially my two main characters) need some work.  I'm starting to see this whole first draft for what it really is: my own exploration of the story that I wanted to write.  And as such it has many flaws and requires quite a bit of work.  But at least I now know what I want the finished version to be like.  Or at least I have a clearer glimpse of it.

And today I started the second read through. I'm just looking for the "promises" that I have made as I went along and how I later in the story delivered on those promises.  I'm skimming more than reading, well I am reading but not concentrating on the story as deeply as I did last week.  I sure am finding some surprises, stuff I wrote in with no clear goal and no follow through.  Quite illuminating, that. I'm also finding mistakes and errors that I missed on the first read through, but I'm letting those go for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment