Sunday, December 12, 2010

Book Revision Update: Week 1 Day 6

I went over another 100 pages. Only 88 to go and the first read thru will be done! I must say that I enjoy the story I wrote a lot in places. But I am getting the sinking feeling that what I have here is not enough to justify the story I am telling to have two parts. Because nothing all that significant happens in this "first" book. Mostly it is just introduction of the characters, some depiction of the world they live in, and of course glimpses of the plot. But really, it is all just drawn out descriptions and repetitive information giving. I have the unfortunate habit of writing the same thing, giving the same information in various parts and spoken by different characters. I also tend to go over the same things only using different words.

I have so far noticed three very big problems with my story:

1. The world I created needs to be shown more clearly, described more clearly. I just tell how it is, I do not show it.

2. My main character is all over the place and needs to be made more linear. His arc of change needs to be more pronounced. Right now it is a zig-zag line and nowhere near what or who he should be.

3. The girl who is like the second main character is too one-dimensional. Or not characterized enough.

So much for now. Tomorrow I'll finish it and then see where I stand more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment